Innocent until proven guilty and all that, but things ain’t lookin’ good for the Brazman:
Senator Patrick Brazeau will be formally charged with domestic assault and sexual assault later this morning, following a brief appearance at the courthouse in Gatineau, Que.
Brazeau, who appeared in court wearing a black suit and white dress shirt, did not have his lawyer present for his first appearance at about 9:15 a.m. ET Friday.
Also (re: this):
I hope the good Senator dressed those words with ketchup before chowing down in his holding cell.
In the ensuing years, each time [Brazeau] displayed a stunning lack of judgment or acted in his typically boorish and bullying manner, he took to blaming the messenger.
When Canadian Press reporter Jennifer Ditchburn reported on Brazeau’s woeful attendance record in the Senate — he was within days of being fined for his absences at the time — he took to Twitter to slag the reporter.
“Change the D to a B in your last name and we’re even! Don’t mean it but needs saying,” the juvenile Brazeau told Ditchburn on his Twitter feed.
In recent weeks, Brazeau must have seen it all coming apart.
The Star caught him mocking Attawapiskat Chief Theresa Spence at a Conservative fundraiser and CTV Ottawa bureau chief Robert Fife found Brazeau was allegedly gaming the system, illegally claiming his father’s house as his primary residence so he could pocket a housing allowance.
Wednesday night, hours before police responded to the disturbance at Brazeau’s home, Fife reported that the senator had allegedly listed his mailing address as that of his ex-father-in-law’s house to gain an aboriginal tax exemption and Brazeau predictably branded Fife a racist.
Somehow, Brazeau seemed to think he could simply brazen his way through all this as charge was heaped upon charge, complication was piled upon complication and his enemies proliferated.
He has invited Canadians to once again heap scorn upon a discredited institution but, in this case, Canadians have no one to blame but Harper.
Conservative Senator Patrick Brazeau: Accountability for Thee, Not For Me UPDATE: Senator Brazeau in Jail, Removed From Tory Caucus
Update: Holy shit:
Senator Patrick Brazeau is in jail following an alleged domestic assault, sources tell CBC News, and has been removed from the Conservative Party’s caucus.
Brazeau, who has weathered several controversies since his appointment in 2009, will continue to sit in the Senate as an Independent.
It’s not clear whether any charges have been laid. Brazeau was arrested at 9:10 a.m. ET Thursday at his residence in Gatineau, just across the river from Ottawa.
Marjory LeBreton, the government Senate leader, sent a letter to Brazeau’s office and caucus members in the morning informing them of his removal.
“In light of the serious nature of the events reported today, Senator Brazeau has been removed from the Conservative caucus. As this is a legal matter, I cannot comment further,” LeBreton said in a statement.
A senior government source says Prime Minister Stephen Harper was saddened and shocked by the latest Brazeau developments, and took action immediately.
Conservative Senator Patrick Brazeau used his former father-in-law’s address in a First Nations community when he claimed an aboriginal income tax exemption from 2004 to 2008, CTV News has learned.
Brazeau, who has publicly called on aboriginal leaders to be more financially accountable, listed the residence on the Kitigan Zibi First Nation in Quebec as his mailing address for four years, unbeknownst to his ex-wife’s father.
“I was not aware of that,” Daryl Tenasoco told CTV News.
Neighbours said it did not appear that Brazeau lived in the community.
“I’ve never seen him,” Jean Guy Whiteduck said. “It’s right across from my place. I’ve never seen him there. He may have visited. That’s about it.”
But documents show that income tax exemptions were applied to Brazeau from 2004 to 2008 when he listed the Kitigan Zibi home as his address.
Brazeau, who has publicly called on aboriginal leaders to be more financially accountable, listed the residence on the Kitigan Zibi First Nation in Quebec as his mailing address for four years… .
Neighbours said it did not appear that Brazeau lived in the community.
Hypocrisy is a real B, huh Senator?
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Licence.
- RT @dgardner: Schadenfreude, defined: Watching Sun News announce the PQ candidacy of Pierre Karl Peladeau. #cdnpoli 14 minutes ago
- RT @CanadaDotCom: Sun Media overlord Pierre Karl Péladeau expected to announce run for Parti Quebecois on Sunday ow.ly/uolhc 21 minutes ago
- Dunno what it is about Daylight Savings that instantly makes even the most 'morning' morning person feel like the walking dead. But I hates. 22 minutes ago
- Erg. RT @ScottMadin: Good morning. I already want my hour back. 52 minutes ago
- RT @MicahZenko: US illegal drug profits are $85B a year. Operating budget for US drug cartels is $1B a year. on.cfr.org/1oxX4UT 16 hours ago
- Tea break at @theteahaus #LdnOnt. http://t.co/4AiAjDG48C 16 hours ago
- *record scratch* RT @natnewswatch: Toews now a possible candidate for Supreme Court theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/… #cdnpoli 19 hours ago
- @les_politiques Eh, the 5 Eyes is the more relevant grouping anyway. 21 hours ago
- @les_politiques One can't discount broader effect that ongoing realignment from an Atlantic-based centre is having on decision-making. 21 hours ago
- @les_politiques The breadth and depth of the potential long term blowback is indeed sobering. 22 hours ago
- RT @les_politiques: The women who inspired me: Marie Curie, Diane Fossey, Elizabeth Anscombe, and my mother, for her sense of sacrifice. 22 hours ago
- "US leaders are correct that energy is the best means to strike at Putin. But the precise weapon to use is oil" qz.com/185137/obama-i… 22 hours ago
- MT @stephenlautens: Vic Toews as a judge? Caligula made his horse Incitatus a senator just to insult and humiliate the Senate. #cdnpoli 22 hours ago
- "Catholics expect Francis to do more than put a happy face on moldy teachings" religiondispatches.org/dispatches/pat… 22 hours ago
- "The trouble is that information doesn’t nourish us. Worse, in the end, it turns out to be boring." @aeonmag aeon.co/magazine/livin… 23 hours ago
- "Only around 15% of rapes [in the UK] recorded by police as crimes in 2012-13 resulted in rape charges" opendemocracy.net/opensecurity/m… #fem2 #p2 1 day ago
- RT @FG_STrim: Vietnamese gov says search planes find two, 10-15km-long oil slicks 500m apart. Maybe Malaysia Airlines MH370. http://t.co/CB… 1 day ago
- Unconfirmed: "Malaysia Airlines flight carrying 227 passengers and 12 crew crashed in the South China Sea" news.nationalpost.com/2014/03/07/mal… 1 day ago
- Vic Toews appointment seems to set new standard for blatant patronage | canada.com o.canada.com/news/vic-toews… #cdnpoli 1 day ago
- RT @Pogue: Fascinating. What newspaper front pages would look like if “most read” counts determined stories’ prominence. http://t.co/Rup4XC… 1 day ago
- Freedom and Responsibility (Phil Robertson Edition)
- Monday Metal: Satan – Life Sentence
- Cinerama – ‘I Wake Up Screaming’ (AUDIO)
- Fucking Up Young (Aging Hipster Rewind)
- Around the Internets: Monday Jump-Off
- More Collateral Damage From USia’s Wars
- Abdul Haji: Hero. Muslim. BAMF.
- So Who Are They Assigning Down The Hall Anyway?
- A strange and bitter crop, indeed.
- Monday Metal: Atheist – Unquestionable Presence
- What Was Justin Trudeau Smoking When He Decided To Embrace Marijuana Legaliza — Oh, Never Mind.
- The Atomic Road To Damascus (With a Detour Through Goldsboro)
- Hilzoy Speak, You Listen
- Privilege In A Nutshell (Or, There You Go Again, Richard Dawkins)
- Stand ALL Yr Groundz (UPDATED)
- Is US losing new cold war? (The Hill) March 9, 2014
- Rev. Jeremiah Wright's daughter found guilty of money laundering (Ray Long/Chicago Tribune) March 9, 2014
- London's Laundry Business (Ben Judah/New York Times) March 9, 2014
- A Rand Paul rout in CPAC straw poll (James Hohmann/Politico) March 9, 2014
- Hard drugs demand solid understanding: Column (USA Today) March 9, 2014
- WH defends Obama's Key Largo vacation (Justin Sink/The Hill) March 8, 2014
- McConnell waves musket, falls flat at CPAC (Joseph Gerth/Courier-Journal) March 8, 2014
- Is Ben Carson 2016's sleeper candidate? (Alexandra Jaffe/The Hill) March 8, 2014
- Bachmann: 'Our Movement At Its Core Is An Intellectual Movement' (Brian Tashman/Right Wing Watch) March 8, 2014
- Will America heed the wake-up call of Ukraine? (Condoleezza Rice/Washington Post) March 8, 2014
- Montreal Simon: Will Vic Toews Be Appointed to the Supreme Court? March 9, 2014
- Politics and its Discontents : The Window Of Opportunity Is Growing Increasingly Short March 8, 2014
- Sister Sages Musings: Let’s Start Commemorating This International Women’s Day by Demanding Justice March 8, 2014
- Dawg's Blawg: The elevation of Vic Toews March 8, 2014
- accidentaldeliberations: Saturday Morning Links March 8, 2014
- Is Coverage of Medical Marijuana A Possibility in the US? Feature Writer
- Recapping the Oscars Mark Farnsworth
- Review: True Detective s.e. smith
- Dragons in their lairs: what Yanukovych’s golden paperweights say about Ukraine Natalia Antonova
- The Etisalat Prize: Shortlist review Feature Writer
- Montreal Simon: Will Vic Toews Be Appointed to the Supreme Court? March 9, 2014 Simon
- Dead Wild Roses: The DWR Sunday Disservice: Pope Junk March 9, 2014 The Intransigent One
- Blunt Objects Blog: Teddy’s Sunday Prediction – Quebec March 9, 2014 TheNewTeddy
- Warren Kinsella: In Sunday’s Sun: whither thou goest, Quebec? March 9, 2014 Warren
- Warren Kinsella: Toronto needs a mayor: seriously. We do. March 9, 2014 Warren
- Peace, order and good government, eh?: Saturday night blues blogging March 9, 2014 pogge
- Anti-Racist Canada: The ARC Collective: International Women’s Day March 9, 2014 Nostrils200
- A Puff of Absurdity: What Do Women Want? March 8, 2014 Marie Snyder
- cartoon life: A lazy Saturday cat March 8, 2014 doug rogers
- DeSmogBlog: Energy Industry Leaders and Government Officials Rub Elbows at CERAWeek 2014 March 8, 2014 Justin Mikulka
- The Harper Gubbermint: Taking the Universality outta Universal health care! February 22, 2014 pale
- The elevation of Vic Toews March 8, 2014 Dr.Dawg
- Guest post: Sorting Fact, Fiction, and Propaganda in #Venezuela's Death Count March 3, 2014 Dr.Dawg
- "Someone punish her with their shaft" March 2, 2014 Dr.Dawg
- The Sokal hoax, revisited March 1, 2014 Dr.Dawg
- Liberal values February 27, 2014 Dr.Dawg
- Don't Want an Abortion? Don't Go to a Crisis Pregnancy Centre March 6, 2014 email@example.com (fern hill)
- "Parental Consent" Comes to Canada March 6, 2014 firstname.lastname@example.org (fern hill)
- Money for sex, sex for money. March 2, 2014 email@example.com (deBeauxOs)
- Unconventional February 26, 2014 firstname.lastname@example.org (deBeauxOs)
- Who ya gonna call? February 25, 2014 email@example.com (fern hill)
- Racists to Party Tonight at CPAC March 7, 2014 Josh Glasstetter
- FRC Hot Mic: Boykin Jokes about Jews, Says Obama Supports Al Qaeda, Sends Them Subliminal Messages March 7, 2014 Josh Glasstetter
- Hatewatch Headlines – 3/7/14 March 7, 2014 Hatewatch Staff
- Suspect in Montana Clinic Vandalism May Be Linked to Controversial ‘Crisis Pregnancy’ Center March 6, 2014 David Neiwert
- Hatewatch Headlines – 3/6/14 March 6, 2014 Hatewatch Staff
- Sweden: VIDEO: Watch the President of Swedish trade union Kommunal on gender equality & equal pay at work March 9, 2014
- Cambodia: Show of force by authorities blocks trade union IWD forum March 9, 2014
- China: IBM factory strike shows shifting China labor landscape March 9, 2014
- Cambodia: Garment unions: the call for women to represent women March 8, 2014
- Canada: Global Unions Mobilizing to Stop Crown Holdings from Exporting Union Busting March 8, 2014
- Russia May Suspend Nuclear Arms Inspection Deal Under START If U.S. Sanctions Are Pushed March 9, 2014 War News Updates Editor
- With The World Focused On Ukraine, Syrian President Assad Is Now Pushing With Plans To Crush The Rebellion Against His Rule March 9, 2014 War News Updates Editor
- Major Victory For Government Forces In Syria March 9, 2014 War News Updates Editor
- Libya Issues Threat To Bomb North Korea-Flagged Oil Tanker In Rebel Port March 9, 2014 War News Updates Editor
- Portable Anti-Aircraft Missiles Reported Missing In Ukraine March 9, 2014 War News Updates Editor
- News of the Day for Sunday, March 9, 2014 March 9, 2014 firstname.lastname@example.org (Cervantes)
- War News for Saturday, March 08, 2014 March 8, 2014 email@example.com (whisker)
- War News for Fridaay, March 07, 2014 March 7, 2014 firstname.lastname@example.org (whisker)
- War News for Thursday, March 06, 2014 March 6, 2014 email@example.com (whisker)
- War News for Wednesday, March 05, 2014 March 5, 2014 firstname.lastname@example.org (whisker)
- War News for Tuesday, March 04, 2014 March 4, 2014 email@example.com (whisker)
- War News for Monday, March 03, 2014 March 3, 2014 firstname.lastname@example.org (whisker)
- News of the Day for Sunday, March 2, 2014 March 2, 2014 email@example.com (Cervantes)
- War News for Saturday, March 01, 2014 March 1, 2014 firstname.lastname@example.org (whisker)
- War News for Friday, February 28, 2014 February 28, 2014 email@example.com (whisker)
- Remembering Taiwan’s White Terror March 8, 2014 James
- Hong Kong: Two Systems, One Country? March 8, 2014 James
- Rising Conservatism Among Japanese Housewives? March 8, 2014 Jeff
- India Backs Russia’s ‘Legitimate Interests’ in Ukraine March 8, 2014 Zachary
- Australia’s Economic Luck: 21 Years and Counting March 8, 2014 James
- Divine Intervention? Indonesian Clerics Issue Fatwa to Protect Endangered Species March 8, 2014 Jeff
- Senate Politics Paralyze American Diplomacy March 7, 2014 Ankit
- Mearsheimer Is Dangerously Optimistic March 7, 2014 Zachary
- Indian PM Addresses BIMSTEC Summit, Pushes Free Trade March 7, 2014 Ankit
- Between a Rock and a Hard Place: Japan’s Ukraine Dilemma March 7, 2014 Shannon
- Iranian bar association seeks greater independence A Correspondent in Tehran
- Iraq Notebook: No talk of the Turkish model Cengiz Çandar
- Women's empowerment key to development in Arab world Clovis Maksoud
- Reversing Turkey's brain drain Riada Asimovic Akyol
- In latest tape, Erdogan calls judiciary Kadri Gursel
- GCC rift another blow to Erdogan’s Mideast policies Semih Idiz
- Protesting Erdogan a la Turca March 7, 2014 Pinar Tremblay
- A Sisi presidency will not work March 7, 2014 Mahmoud Salem
- Iraqi Shiite clerics maintain humility, influence March 7, 2014 Haytham Mouzahem
- Right-wing Knesset members lash out at Arabs for ratings March 7, 2014 Mazal Mualem
- Tunisia’s Consensus, or When a Kiss is Just a Kiss March 8, 2014 Yasmine Ryan
- DARS Media Roundup (March 8) March 8, 2014 DARS Page Editors
- Sosyal Bilimler ve Kadinlarin Bilme Bicimleri March 8, 2014 Nazan Üstündağ
- لماذا لم يثر الصعيد؟ محاولة أولية للفهم ودعوة للنقاش March 7, 2014 Ahmad Mohamed Abu Zaid أحمد محمد أبو زيد
- عن السيد الجديد والمرأة المصرية March 7, 2014 Aly El Raggal علي الرجال
- Photography Media Roundup (March 6) March 6, 2014 Photography Page Editors
- قصائد المهمّشين March 5, 2014 Eduardo Galeano إدواردو غاليانو
- New Texts Out Now: Annika Marlen Hinze, Turkish Berlin: Integration Policy and Urban Space March 5, 2014 Annika Marlen Hinze
- Egypt Monthly Edition on Jadaliyya (February 2014) March 5, 2014 Jadaliyya Egypt Editors
- The (Ir)relevance of Academia? Academics Lash Back at Kristof for NYT Column March 5, 2014 Kaylan Geiger
- Ukraine, Nigeria, Egypt, Syria, Somalia, North Korea: Do we deserve to be happy? March 9, 2014 Jim Gabour
- Turning the Tanker March 8, 2014 David Elstein
- Dagestan: Russia’s hottest spot March 8, 2014 Zakir Magomedov
- Civil war, secession and the body politic March 7, 2014 Almut Rochowanski
- The toll of rape and the lack of conviction March 7, 2014 Melanie Newman
- The case for treating migrants well is about much more than the economy March 7, 2014 Alex Randall
- How I learned to let go and be myself March 7, 2014 Jamie Heckert
- Contesting patriarchy-as-governance: lessons from youth-led activism March 7, 2014 Deniz Kandiyoti
- Martha Nussbaum, empathy, and the moral imagination March 7, 2014 Heather McRobie
- US: why Women's History Month? March 7, 2014 Ruth Rosen
- December 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- February 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- May 2011
- February 2011
- December 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007
- August 2007
- July 2007
- June 2007
- May 2007
- April 2007
- March 2007
- February 2007
- January 2007
- December 2006
- November 2006