Innocent until proven guilty and all that, but things ain’t lookin’ good for the Brazman:
Senator Patrick Brazeau will be formally charged with domestic assault and sexual assault later this morning, following a brief appearance at the courthouse in Gatineau, Que.
Brazeau, who appeared in court wearing a black suit and white dress shirt, did not have his lawyer present for his first appearance at about 9:15 a.m. ET Friday.
Also (re: this):
I hope the good Senator dressed those words with ketchup before chowing down in his holding cell.
In the ensuing years, each time [Brazeau] displayed a stunning lack of judgment or acted in his typically boorish and bullying manner, he took to blaming the messenger.
When Canadian Press reporter Jennifer Ditchburn reported on Brazeau’s woeful attendance record in the Senate — he was within days of being fined for his absences at the time — he took to Twitter to slag the reporter.
“Change the D to a B in your last name and we’re even! Don’t mean it but needs saying,” the juvenile Brazeau told Ditchburn on his Twitter feed.
In recent weeks, Brazeau must have seen it all coming apart.
The Star caught him mocking Attawapiskat Chief Theresa Spence at a Conservative fundraiser and CTV Ottawa bureau chief Robert Fife found Brazeau was allegedly gaming the system, illegally claiming his father’s house as his primary residence so he could pocket a housing allowance.
Wednesday night, hours before police responded to the disturbance at Brazeau’s home, Fife reported that the senator had allegedly listed his mailing address as that of his ex-father-in-law’s house to gain an aboriginal tax exemption and Brazeau predictably branded Fife a racist.
Somehow, Brazeau seemed to think he could simply brazen his way through all this as charge was heaped upon charge, complication was piled upon complication and his enemies proliferated.
He has invited Canadians to once again heap scorn upon a discredited institution but, in this case, Canadians have no one to blame but Harper.
Conservative Senator Patrick Brazeau: Accountability for Thee, Not For Me UPDATE: Senator Brazeau in Jail, Removed From Tory Caucus
Update: Holy shit:
Senator Patrick Brazeau is in jail following an alleged domestic assault, sources tell CBC News, and has been removed from the Conservative Party’s caucus.
Brazeau, who has weathered several controversies since his appointment in 2009, will continue to sit in the Senate as an Independent.
It’s not clear whether any charges have been laid. Brazeau was arrested at 9:10 a.m. ET Thursday at his residence in Gatineau, just across the river from Ottawa.
Marjory LeBreton, the government Senate leader, sent a letter to Brazeau’s office and caucus members in the morning informing them of his removal.
“In light of the serious nature of the events reported today, Senator Brazeau has been removed from the Conservative caucus. As this is a legal matter, I cannot comment further,” LeBreton said in a statement.
A senior government source says Prime Minister Stephen Harper was saddened and shocked by the latest Brazeau developments, and took action immediately.
Conservative Senator Patrick Brazeau used his former father-in-law’s address in a First Nations community when he claimed an aboriginal income tax exemption from 2004 to 2008, CTV News has learned.
Brazeau, who has publicly called on aboriginal leaders to be more financially accountable, listed the residence on the Kitigan Zibi First Nation in Quebec as his mailing address for four years, unbeknownst to his ex-wife’s father.
“I was not aware of that,” Daryl Tenasoco told CTV News.
Neighbours said it did not appear that Brazeau lived in the community.
“I’ve never seen him,” Jean Guy Whiteduck said. “It’s right across from my place. I’ve never seen him there. He may have visited. That’s about it.”
But documents show that income tax exemptions were applied to Brazeau from 2004 to 2008 when he listed the Kitigan Zibi home as his address.
Brazeau, who has publicly called on aboriginal leaders to be more financially accountable, listed the residence on the Kitigan Zibi First Nation in Quebec as his mailing address for four years… .
Neighbours said it did not appear that Brazeau lived in the community.
Hypocrisy is a real B, huh Senator?
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Licence.
- Could be subheaded 'The Problem w/ Data-Driven Journalism' (ie, journalist != social scientist) africasacountry.com/2013/05/18/the… h/t @SteveHynd 15 minutes ago
- MT @MHPshow: Read @trymainelee's devastating report on Louisiana's gun murder rate. on.msnbc.com/19Fhe7S #nerdland #p2 2 hours ago
- RT @jkfecke: I've been told that @jonkarl describes himself as "The worst reporter alive." That's a direct quote.* 2 hours ago
- AM must-read by Uri Avnery at @theprogressive: '#Israel, Women, and the Wailing Wall' goo.gl/GvRRP #p2 #fem2 2 hours ago
- Pew researchers "skeptical" of US census #'s showing increased black voter turnout cuz black people are lying felons pewresearch.org/2013/05/15/ske… 4 hours ago
- RT @TheScottFinley: Just got confirmation from twitter-I was suspended because a VERIFIED account reported me as spam. Guess who it was: @j… 4 hours ago
- The @NewYorker launches open-source drop box for leaks, co-created by Aaron Swartz: @natashalennard salon.com/2013/05/18/new… #p2 4 hours ago
- TO mayor's greatest hits go international: @nymag runs down 20 Things Worth Knowing About Rob Ford nymag.com/daily/intellig… #TOpoli #cdnpoli 4 hours ago
- MT @MSchleifstein: Journo Mark Hertsgaard, victim @ Mother's Day 2nd-line parade, reflects on shooting, love for NOLA nola.com/crime/index.ss… 4 hours ago
- Finding out that Yahoo is wooing tumblr is like discovering that your dad has the hots for one of yr friends. 5 hours ago
- Yahoo wants Tumblr? Yuck. RT @NiemanLabFuego: Tumblr May Reject Yahoo's $1.1B Acquisition Offer For Being "Too Low" nie.mn/Z3bOEn 5 hours ago
- MT @carolrosenberg: Guantanamo prison protest grows: Navy docs now count 103 captives as hunger strikers, 30 tube fed hrld.us/11mE8h2 5 hours ago
- @jampants @UnionSt @ThatEricAlper Indeed. All the perverse joy ignited by Rob Ford's crack tape has gone up in smoke. #sadfase 5 hours ago
- RT @ThatEricAlper: Laura Ballance forced to stop touring with Superchunk due to hearing loss: wp.me/p3gdJT-6xc 6 hours ago
- RT @nycjim: No way this sort of headline works well for a politician. bit.ly/16EioDD http://t.co/qvhy4Xl8WE 1 day ago
- RT @phillyprof03: @sarahkendzior @matttbastard See: chronicle.com/article/Adjunc… and chronicle.com/article/Colleg… and this chronicle.com/article/Accide… 1 day ago
- RT @rhh: Help make it happen for Buy the Rob Ford drug tape on @indiegogo igg.me/p/412406/twtr @johnjcook 1 day ago
- RT @sarahkendzior: On #adjunct profs: "Melissa Bruninga-Matteau is a single mother who relies on food stamps and Medicaid to survive." http… 1 day ago
- Rob Ford's reelection campaign theme song? youtube.com/watch?v=mriSw6… @johnjcook #daddysonthepipe 1 day ago
- RT @nationalpost: LCBO strike averted as officials reach tentative deal with union natpo.st/19Byue5 1 day ago
- Concert of the Day
- The War Comes Home (Redux)
- Chuck Hagel: Damaged Goods?
- France 24: Digital pollution? Data centers, planned obsolescence, recycling materials (VIDEO)
- Ethics in Exile
- The War Comes Home
- Concert of the Day
- An oral history of Belle and Sebastian’s seminal record ‘If You’re Feeling Sinister’ (VIDEO)
- Around the Internets
- I’m Not Sayin’ (I’m Just Sayin’)
- Dorner Manhunt Leads LAPD To Mistakenly And Recklessly Fire On Two Women In Pick Up (VIDEO)
- Saturday Playlist
- Concert Of The Day (After Dark)
- Stick a Fork in Senator Brazeau….
- The Original Torture Memos
- Obama puts Marines on umbrella duty, irking conservatives (Rachel Weiner/Washington Post) May 18, 2013
- New Audit Allegations Show Flawed Statistical Thinking (Nate Silver/FiveThirtyEight) May 18, 2013
- Judge says lesbian mom's partner must go (Michael Stephens/Dallas Voice) May 18, 2013
- Portugal Expands Marriage Equality To Include Same-Sex Adoption (Zack Ford/ThinkProgress) May 18, 2013
- Yahoo Board to Meet Sunday to Consider $1.1 Billion, All-Cash Deal to Acquire Tumblr (AllThingsD) May 18, 2013
- Anastasia Adair, Colorado Woman, Dies After Assault Rifle Accidentally Discharges (Andres Jauregui/The Huffington Post) May 18, 2013
- Markey's aides bridle after Gomez calls him invisible (The Boston Globe) May 18, 2013
- MNGOP Rep. Gruenhagen on climate change: "It's just a complete United Nations fraud" [VIDEO] (Aaron Rupar/The Blotter) May 18, 2013
- Court: Law applying crack sentences retroactive (Brett Barrouquere/Associated Press) May 18, 2013
- Bobby Jindal: IRS officials deserve prison time (Jonathan Martin/Politico) May 18, 2013
- LeDaro: Rose: Nature's beauty May 18, 2013
- Orwell's Bastard: Mayor Stupid, the Star, and another question | #TOpoli May 18, 2013
- The Disaffected Lib : Is the Senate Independent Auditor Independent? May 18, 2013
- accidentaldeliberations: Saturday Morning Links May 18, 2013
- Politics and its Discontents : In Case You Missed It May 18, 2013
- “And Then There Were None”: Reflections on an Empty Nest Feature Writer
- Review – Daft Punk’s Random Access Memories GlobalComment Editor
- Review: Christopher Guest’s Family Tree s.e. smith
- “Shadow Dancer”: An Interview with Director James Marsh Feature Writer
- This Mothers’ Day, let’s celebrate by listening to mothers Feature Writer
- LeDaro: Rose: Nature’s beauty May 18, 2013 LeDaro
- Accidental Deliberations: Saturday Morning Links May 18, 2013 Greg Fingas
- Politics and its Discontents: In Case You Missed It May 18, 2013 Lorne
- Blunt Objects Blog: A Look at Bourassa May 18, 2013 Kyle H.
- DeSmogBlog: Friday Trash Dump: Obama DOE Approves 2nd Fracked Gas LNG Export Terminal May 18, 2013 Steve Horn
- Northern Reflections: A Culture Of Entitlement May 18, 2013 Owen Gray
- Chadwick's Blog & Commentary: Little Dorrit: BBC Drama May 18, 2013 Ian Chadwick
- 350 or bust: Saturday At The Movies May 18, 2013 Christine
- Montreal Simon: Rob Ford and the Incredible Exploding Cons May 18, 2013 Simon
- Buckdog: Senate’s Internal Economy Board Removed Damning Findings From Sen. Duffy’s Audit Report Before It Was Tabled In The Senate May 18, 2013 leftdog
- Can We Talk about the Gosnell Case? Apparently Not May 15, 2013 firstname.lastname@example.org (fern hill)
- Anti-Choice 'Sophisticated'? ROTFLMAO! May 14, 2013 email@example.com (fern hill)
- Divide the Right: Fetal Gore Porn Gang Targets Harper May 13, 2013 firstname.lastname@example.org (fern hill)
- Keep It Simple: Commit Math May 10, 2013 email@example.com (fern hill)
- March for Lies A Bust May 10, 2013 firstname.lastname@example.org (fern hill)
- Friday night blues blogging May 18, 2013 pogge
- BC provincial election lessons May 16, 2013 Purple Library Guy
- Peter Penashue takes a Mulligan and slices it into the woods. May 16, 2013 pogge
- BC provincial election sour grapes May 15, 2013 Purple Library Guy
- Friday night blues blogging (because I don't have any cats) May 11, 2013 pogge
- Veteran Skinhead Forms New Racist Club, Peddles T-shirts on Internet May 17, 2013 Bill Morlin
- NPI ‘Think Tank’ is Latest Racist Outfit to Move to NW Montana May 16, 2013 Bill Morlin
- Once Again, White Nationalists Sully Immigration Debate May 15, 2013 Hatewatch Staff
- Another Men’s Rights Activist Suicide Exploited by Ideologues May 14, 2013 Arthur Goldwag
- Man Slain After Firing on Ohio Police Carried Extremist Books May 9, 2013 Bill Morlin
- Bangladesh: Reflections on the campaign to sign the Bangladesh factory safety accord May 18, 2013
- Global: Eradicating workplace discrimination on grounds of sexual orientation or gender identity May 18, 2013
- Cambodia: At least 6 dead after factory collapses: union member May 17, 2013
- Bangladesh: We made it! – Global Breakthrough as Retail Brands sign up to Bangladesh Factory Safety Deal May 17, 2013
- Greece: Teachers 'civil mobilisation order' put into force at noon today May 16, 2013
- The World's Most Pirate-Infested Waters May 18, 2013 War News Updates Editor
- Reports Of Another Chemical Attack In Syria May 18, 2013 War News Updates Editor
- World News Briefs -- May 18, 2013 May 18, 2013 War News Updates Editor
- Militray And Intelligence News Briefs -- May 18, 2013 May 18, 2013 War News Updates Editor
- North Korea Conducts Missile Test May 18, 2013 War News Updates Editor
- War News for Saturday, May 18, 2013 May 18, 2013 email@example.com (whisker)
- War News for Friday, May 17, 2013 May 17, 2013 firstname.lastname@example.org (whisker)
- War News for Thursday, May 16, 2013 May 16, 2013 email@example.com (whisker)
- War News for Wednesday, May 15, 2013 May 15, 2013 firstname.lastname@example.org (whisker)
- War News for Tuesday, May 14, 2013 May 14, 2013 email@example.com (whisker)
- War News for Monday, May 13, 2013 May 13, 2013 firstname.lastname@example.org (whisker)
- News of the Day for Sunday, May 12, 2013 May 12, 2013 email@example.com (Cervantes)
- War News for Saturday, May 11, 2013 May 11, 2013 firstname.lastname@example.org (whisker)
- War News for Friday, May 10, 2013 May 10, 2013 email@example.com (whisker)
- War News for Thursday, May 09, 2013 May 9, 2013 firstname.lastname@example.org (whisker)
- Budgets: New Zealand 1, Australia 0? May 18, 2013 Anthony Fensom
- Russia’s Forthcoming “Terrorist-Killer Robots” May 17, 2013 Zachary Keck
- The Insurgent’s Playbook: Start Cumulative, Go Sequential May 17, 2013 James R. Holmes
- Japan Surprises with First-Quarter GDP May 17, 2013 James Parker
- Why Japan Should Ignore China’s Okinawa Provocation May 17, 2013 diplomat_admin
- No Strings Attached? Evaluating China’s Trade Relations Abroad May 17, 2013 diplomat_admin
- North Korea Pushes Ahead on Agricultural Reforms May 17, 2013 diplomat_admin
- U.S. Chief of Naval Operations: 11 Littoral Combat Ships to Asia by 2022 May 17, 2013 Zachary Keck
- An Indo-Pacific Treaty: An Idea Whose Time Has Come? May 17, 2013 diplomat_admin
- Deleterious Neglect: Will the U.S. Navy Surrender Maritime Asia? May 17, 2013 diplomat_admin
- Authorities Crack Down on Algeria-Tunisia Border Terror Hub May 17, 2013 M. Aywanogan
- Tunisia: Economists Urge Judiciary To Settle Corruption Cases May 17, 2013 Samira al-Sodqi
- Long Road Ahead for Geneva 2 May 17, 2013 Mohammad Ballout
- Egypt: Conflict With Brotherhood Could Play Out in Salafists’ Favor May 17, 2013 Khaled Azab
- Iran's Government Subsidies Are Incentives for Poor Voters May 17, 2013 Mohammad Ali Shabani
- Who Are Iran's Voters? May 17, 2013 Djavad Salehi-Isfahani
- Lebanese Elections Will Not Happen in September May 17, 2013 Elie Hajj
- Will Israel Take Out The Russian Missiles in Syria? May 17, 2013 Ben Caspit
- Israel’s Mistake in Attacking Syria May 17, 2013 Kayhan Barzegar
- Israel Continues to Detain Gazans At Border Crossing May 17, 2013 Khaled Kraizim
- الليبرالية الفلسطينية أمام القضاء الإسرائيلي May 17, 2013 Haneen Naamnih حنين نعامنة
- ما هي النكبة؟ May 17, 2013 Anaheed Al-Hardan أناهيد الحردان
- Syria's Inglorious Basterd May 17, 2013 Audrey Ann Lavallée-Bélanger
- Maghreb Media Roundup (May 17) May 17, 2013 Maghreb Page Editors
- Buckling to Bigotry: The Newseum Dishonors Murdered Palestinian Journalists May 17, 2013 Nima Shirazi
- مقطع من رواية أطفال الندى May 17, 2013 Muhammad al-asaad محمد الأسعد
- كتب: أطفال الندى May 17, 2013 Arabic Editors
- Statement of the Arab and Middle East Journalists Association in Reference to Newseum Scandal May 16, 2013 Malihe Razazan
- New Texts Out Now: Maya Mikdashi, What is Settler Colonialism? and Sherene Seikaly, Return to the Present May 16, 2013 Sherene Seikaly and Maya Mikdashi
- On the Margins Roundup (May) May 16, 2013 On the Margins Editors
- Russia's paedophile hunters May 17, 2013 Mikhail Loginov
- The British legal profession has a duty to help ensure justice for all May 17, 2013 Geoffrey Bindman
- Europe’s seven most endangered species of monuments and sites May 17, 2013 Costa Carras
- Spain’s attacks on fighting back May 17, 2013 Judith Sunderland
- Real democracy still missing May 17, 2013 Kristinn Már Ársælsson
- Politics, punditry, and the foreign gaze: the crisis in Portugal and the media May 17, 2013 José Borges Reis and Rui Lopes
- Russian vodka and Czech crown jewels May 17, 2013 Jan Hornát
- “Unpredictability” in Bhutan’s elections May 17, 2013 Medha Bisht
- “Beyond the Fragments”: I’m a socialist feminist. Can I be a radical feminist too? May 17, 2013 Cynthia Cockburn
- The global and local re-packaging and marketing of a “moderate” Islamist leader May 17, 2013 Mohamed-Salah Omri
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- February 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- May 2011
- February 2011
- December 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007
- August 2007
- July 2007
- June 2007
- May 2007
- April 2007
- March 2007
- February 2007
- January 2007
- December 2006
- November 2006